ALZHEIMER'S! I saw a presentation on the terrible disease and how hard it is on families, and it made me think (and realize I'm blessed to have a working mind!). here's what came out...
Here is a poem entitled (I think I'm John):I've been told I have Alzheimer's.
But of course, I did not know.
It was a man that looked like me
who came, like my memory, then goes.
I sit in the room i've spent my whole life
and see pictures of beautiful people.
I wonder where that sunset is from,
and who that couple is under the steeple.
A few times a day, the sun shines in my window,
And I begin to hear the rhythm of music.
Suddenly, my feet start to tap
And memories, of all the fluzies, comes back.
but soon enough it fades away,
And I'm stuck wondering why I am here today.
But more importantly, what year is it?
And when again, will my mind mend,
and bring back that dancing light?
My name is Grover,
and I have...
WAIT! What is it called again?
I overhear the nuns in the other room,
calling out to fellow slaves,
for their daily dose of life.
"Bernstein!? Where's John Bernstein!?"
There's a dire need for the King!
And then I notice that sun creep in,
and right before it hits my face,
a knock fills my ears, and its place,
And I remember...
(in reflection to my poem)
"it is interesting writing from my perceived view as one with Alzheimer's. DAMN its a HEAVY situation! I cannot believe the impact it has on the family, let alone the man or woman. Dementia! Shit! My life's about..."

No comments:
Post a Comment