Thursday, October 23, 2008

this is a hard one

Well. As with everything in life, there is good and bad to everything. Think about it. I love cookies and I know you do too. Cookies= good. BUT if all we eat are cookies, we will become overweight, and probably have terrible stomach aches. i.e. BAD. In my situation here, in this lovely country and incredibly full city, there are some bads that have been affecting me, even in my good world. And I am struggling deeply with how I am reacting to them... I feel like I am not myself, or well at least not the person I want to be. But my feelings are honest.  The situation is that I am studying psychology, and want so badly to help every single person I can, and, possibly will be in a position of listening and giving advice in the future...yet I am despising the reality of that now. I am having a hard time in my living situation right now because I am continually hearing complaints, and cries, and, with the lack of suitable amenities, its making me react with anger. I am now aware of what it is to live with someone who is old. I am trying to be respectful and I know that there are people who will read this (possibly my host mom) who are older individuals and I don't want to offend anyone. But I am tired and proactively avoiding my home here because, although I want to listen to peoples problems and assist them as a job in the future, i DO NOT want it to be at my home...and it is. It seems that everyday I return home I listen to complaints, and requests from an old women, and I am realizing now the unsuitable living conditions that I have been numb to-until now. But my reaction comes at a weird time. I mean how am I going to potentially listen to clients and assist them in their problems, when i despise doing it now? AND on a whole other level, do you just forget proper etiquette and health standards when you are older? I do not want to go into specifics...that would be bad for you and only a reminder for me- NOT NECESSARY. Phew... ok.. a breath... I am trying to stay positive, and, after realizing my reactions, will be working on my anger and acceptance this coming year. I have always thought of myself as open and accepting, but as the theme of life has told me, there is always more work to be done.

No comments: