Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day two

WOW. day two was a different experience. I woke up needing water asap and hoping to scratch some stuff off my to-do list (i.e send out emails about the blog/ how to communicate), and i guess if you're reading this, i did it! *scratch* I felt kinda depressed this afternoon, as I walked around Buenos Aires, thinking it is huge, trying to get a Argentine SIM card unsuccessfully. Turns out my spanish is not as good as I thought. Ordering food was hard also, and I began to fear the next few months. But as I got in a cab with an old Argentine man with shaky hands (who also didn't know the area I was trying to go to) I began to feel a little more optimistic about the upcoming experiences. We figured out my host family's location together with me saying si to everything he said-regardless if i understood him or not- and my frown turned to a smile as I looked around the city. I will be living in Recoleta, an amazing part of BA-and it really is amazing. There are shops and laundry-mats and stores all over the place and huge park 3 blocks north of my apartment. I immediately forgot my previous feeling of doubt and excitement ruled my mind. As I fell back in love with BA I realized how quickly things change and how I must stay optimistic about whats ahead of me. This experience is going to be amazing and I can't wait for every part-even the discouraging feelings, because I know I will see an old Argentine man walking through the park, or a child playing with 30 dogs being walked by one person, and get that excited smirk on my face again. mucho amor y entonces!
Chao,
~MAX~

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning! What a wondeful thing to have met that particular taxi driver! Yes, BA is a really big city with much to see and much to do. Don't get discouraged, you are a very smart young man and you will find you way quickly. Enjoy the ups and downs because that is what makes life so great! Eat an Empanada for me!Love you - Dudette

Karyn said...

Max! I'm so excited for you. Have a wonderful year.

Anonymous said...

Thats right Maxidoodle... transition is alittle jarring for the first couple of moments... you just got to "rule your mind" (as you said).

You got all the skillz you need, brotha.